Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bitterness toward Airplanes?

     I wouldn't have thought it, but I have some bad feelings against some airplanes.  While here in Mojave at the aircraft bone yard, I got to see some airplanes that I used to work on.  These planes are not in service anymore and mostly stripped of all that was ever good. 
     As I looked at the planes, I instantly got kind of "mad" at the airplanes and took great delight in their poor state.  I was flooded with all of the memories of the times when they broke down, every hour they kept me away from home, every phone call made discussing the maintenance...you name it.  We even gave the airplanes unflattering names.  7whore6 and 7whore0.  I hated those planes.
     After a while, though, I had to remember the safe passage that the two planes brought me.  I flew a lot of places on those planes and quite obviously still here.  I always looked forward to flying on them as well.  740 was always the best A/C to be on to Shanghai.  746 was always a nice ride to Korea and all over the lower 48. 
     Weighing the love/hate...hate still wins.  As much as I hate the airplanes, I still wanted a piece of one of them.  So, I climbed the E&E bay ladder and searched for my trophy of the one I hate the most...746.  I was happy to find the "Exit"sign was still there.  I always thought the Exit sign would taunt me after a very long AOG.  The only way to Exit the A/C for me many times was to make sure it was fixed and airworthy to fly.  I don't know what I'll do with the Exit sign, but I know the wife won't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment