Monday, February 7, 2011

Injuries sustained by children

Nate, the 4yr old, injured himself today at Church.  He got his hand caught in the stall door in the bathroom and received quite a pinch.  When we picked him up after the service, he was quick to point out the band-aid on his had.  While he was visibly upset about it, there was another kid saying how it wasn't all that bad.  Even the teacher seemed to think that it wasn't too big of a deal, especially since he immediately stopped crying about it once the band-aid was applied. 
When we go home, I told Nate that I would like to see it...just to see if he really needed a band-aid.  He refused and told me that the band-aid wasn't done eating all the blood.  As much as he tried to baby his hand, the band-aid lost its stick and it was time to change it.  When I removed the band-aid, I saw that the pinch took away quite a bit of skin and left an inch long gash at the base of his index finger on the back side of his hand. 
I was a little alarmed by this.  Given the comments of the other kids and the teacher, I was lead to believe that maybe Nate was exaggerating a little.  Now, Nate has received minor injuries and he is a bit of a drama king.  I guess the lesson for me is to always listen to the boy, no matter how many times he may have cried wolf.  He's still 4 (turning 5 in March).  The world is still a pretty big and cruel place to him and that gash on his hand is probably one of the worst injuries he has sustained. 
There is so much to learn about the kids and myself.  I suppose 15 years as a parent has brought some kind of wisdom and experience.  I feel sorry for Luke for not getting the same kid of nurturing and benefit when he would hurt himself when he was younger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment